Monday, February 20, 2012

Henry David Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience"

In Henry David Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience," Thoreau makes three direct references to citizen that I wish to reference:

"But, to speak practically and as a citizen, unlike those who call themselves no-government men, I ask for, not at once no government, but at once a better government. Let every man make known what kind of government would command his respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it."

"Must the citizen ever for a moment, or in the least degree, resign his conscience to the legislator? Why has every man a conscience, then? I think that we should be men first, and subjects afterward."

"The mass of men serve the state thus, not as men mainly, but as machines, with their bodies [...] They have the same sort of worth only as horses and dogs. Yet such as these even are commonly esteemed good citizens."

No comments:

Post a Comment